Elasticsearch Curate Features
- Alias Management – add, remove
- Shard routing allocation
- Indices Management – Close , Delete indices, Open closed indices, Optimize indices and modify number of replicas
- Snapshot(backups management) – Show, Backup, Restore.
- Change the number of replicas per shard for indices
- Pattern Matching for statements (e.g delete all indices matching .marvel*)
- Started off as clearESindices.py for a simple goal to delete indices.
- It then became logstash_index_cleaner.py
- Then moved under logstash repository as “expire_logs”.
- After Jordan Sissel was hired by Elastic it then became Elasticsearch Curator and is now hosted at https://github.com/elastic/curator
- Today : Curator now performs many operations on your Elasticsearch indices, from delete to snapshot to shard allocation routing.
Curator all-in Command Line
- Curator 2.0 underlying feature was the first attempt to detach the popular Elasticsearch API from the CLI.
- These allows scripting to carry out any of the tasks featured above meaning you can for instance:
- Automate your back up and restore procedures.
- Also with version 2.0, Curator ships in an API along side the wrapper scripts/ entry points. This API allows you to roll out your own scripts to perform similar or totally different tasks to Curator with the same underlying code that curator uses…
- Documentation can be found here
Curator installation for Mac
# you may ignore the python installations if you already have this wget https://bootstrap.pypa.io/get-pip.py python get-pip.py wget https://bootstrap.pypa.io/get-pip.py sudo python get-pip.py wget https://pypi.python.org/packages/source/u/urllib3/urllib3-1.8.3.tar.gz pip install urllib3-1.8.3.tar.gz wget https://pypi.python.org/packages/source/c/click/click-3.3.tar.gz -O click-3.3.tar.gz sudo pip install click-3.3.tar.gz # install elasticsearch-py wget https://github.com/elastic/elasticsearch-py/archive/1.6.0.tar.gz -O elasticsearch-py.tar.gz sudo pip install elasticsearch-py.tar.gz # install elasticsearch-curator wget https://github.com/elastic/curator/archive/v3.3.0.tar.gz -O elasticsearch-curator.tar.gz sudo pip install elasticsearch-curator.tar.gz # To test : Verify version curator --version # should echo: "curator, version 3.3.0" # To example Commands try the help menu curator --help # should echo : help menu options
For more installation guides please see the official Elasticsearch Guides
Curator Command Line Flags
Index and Snapshot Selection
Index selection only
Snapshot selection only